Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Vibrations and Sounds in Nature

Today I received this post from my friend Jodi. She has an awesome blog entitled "God is a Verb." This is just an excerpt, to see the entire post go here.

“The three great elemental sounds in nature are the sound of rain, the sound of wind in a primeval wood, and the sound of outer ocean on a beach.” ~ Henry Beston ~
"I have always loved the sound of water. When I stand on the sandy beaches of oceans, the rhythmic rise and fall of foamy waves lapping at my feet reminds me of the power contained in the mysterious unexplored depths of our planet. When I rest on the banks of a roaring river, I am mesmerized by the rushing waters that tumble over stones as they weave towards some distant connection. When I hear a motor boat cutting through a lake, stirring up a huge wake that ripples out in rounded peaks, I feel warm and content inside. When I sit and listen to the musical twinkling sounds of water fountains, I sense an inner peace that quiets even the most persistent thoughts racing through my mind. When I hear gentle spring rain pounding rhythms on my window pane, I become mellow and romantic. "

Why do the sounds of nature have this effect of us? It's the vibrations! All of these sounds; waves lapping, brooks babbling, and rain tapping on the window all create unique vibrations and most of us have pretty powerful associations with those vibrations. Sadly, there are people who have negative vibrations associated with these very same things. Vibrations can go either way depending on what has been previously associated, if anything.

When you're out in nature, pay attention to which sounds you really enjoy and which ones you don't care for as much. Just recently, many people have told me that they really don't care for birds very much. Several cited the Alfred Hitchcock move "The Birds." Others just said they she birds as noisy carriers of the "bird flu." How do YOU feel about the sounds of nature that you hear? Which ones do you enjoy, which ones do you not care for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your posts!